Regular dental check-ups and cleanings are essential for maintaining good oral health. According to, it is recommended that everyone should have a dental check-up every 6 to 12 months, even if their teeth are in good shape and they feel healthy. Here are some reasons why:
- Preventive care: Regular dental check-ups can help detect potential issues early on, when they are easier to treat. A dental practitioner can screen for oral cancer, check if you need repair or replacement fillings or other dental work, and check on other habits that can affect your teeth and mouth such as grinding your teeth and smoking. By examining your mouth, a dentist practitioner can also learn how other parts of your body are functioning, for example, your heart and gut . A dental practitioner is the best person to identify and address any issues you or they have with your teeth and mouth early, before it becomes painful, difficult to treat, and costly.
- Prevent cavities, decay, plaque, and tartar: No matter how consistent you are with brushing, some areas of the mouth are hard to reach. Once plaque builds up, it turns into tartar that can only be removed by your dentist. Left untreated, tartar can lead to discoloration, gum disease, tooth loss, bad breath, and other dental issues. Regular dental visits clear away any plaque or tartar to prevent cavities and decay. If a cavity is detected, your dentist can treat it right away to prevent further complications.
- Protect your overall health: Oral health and dental health are closely related. Along with reducing your risk of enamel loss, cavities, periodontitis, and tooth loss, good oral hygiene can help prevent various health problems. Health issues connected to poor oral health include cardiovascular disease and certain cancers.
- Save money: Catching dental problems early can spare you from needing costly dental treatments. For instance, catching a cavity and treating it right away is a straightforward, affordable process. If the same cavity goes untreated, a patient can wind up in a great deal of pain and need root canal treatment.
- Prevent bad breath: If you are tired of bad breath, talk to your dentist. It may be a result of gingivitis, poor diet, poor oral hygiene, periodontitis or other oral health concerns.
During a dental check-up, a dental practitioner checks inside your mouth and gives your teeth a thorough clean. Dental hygiene involves anything that helps to prevent dental diseases and keeps your mouth healthy. Dental check-ups usually happen in a dental clinic and are carried out by a dental practitioner such as a dentist or dental hygienist.
If you are due for your dental check up and clean, please don’t hesitate to call us on 3204 9322 or click HERE to book online!